Manage Your Pension During Marriage Dissolution

Manage Your Pension During Marriage Dissolution

Pension benefits and pension contributions are subject to community property laws and, as assets, they may be subject to division upon dissolution of marriage. If the Fire and Police Pension plan is “joined” in your dissolution of marriage proceeding, the Department will be bound by the court order and may be required to distribute a former spouse’s community property share of your pension or your contributions upon termination.

If a member remarries and subsequently dies leaving a qualified survivor, that survivor pension may be subject to division pursuant to the court order.

Under California Law, if a former spouse predeceases the retired member, the former spouse’s share may be passed on to the former spouse’s designated beneficiary.

Please include your name, last four digits of your Social Security number, date of hire, marriage date and date of dissolution of marriage or separation on any correspondence.

Please refer to the Dissolution of Marriage Guide for more information. 


If you have any questions, you may contact the Active Member Services Section at (213) 279-3140 or Retirement Services Section at (213) 279-3125 or toll-free at (844) 88-LAFPP.